August 20, 2017

Elmo Visits Ricky Gervais' Office





I found this treasure while reading Warwick Davis's biography.  Ricky Gervais's comedy always pushes me to my limits of accepting that his examples of social awkwardness are actually for the greater good.  By contrasting an adult little person to a children's character, he's actually re-establishing Warwick's adulthood and need for dignity even while he intentionally compromises it.  Ricky's childlike glee comes off as most juvenile of the three in the end :)

Ricky Gervais has given a lot of exposure to performers with disabilities.   I'm reminded that enterprising young comedians should really ditch their attachment to dignity since dignified people are not funny until the moment that dignity is compromised.

Warwick Davis has the best attitude about life, you know.  He is never above any material and thinks enough of himself but not too much so to be fun for other people.  I'd really like to see Life's Too Short, which is what they were making when this was filmed.  I want to adopt a similar attitude to his for this project.

No comments:

Post a Comment